Monday, April 21, 2008

Empowerment

More often than not, most managers feel that there is too much work to do and too little time to spend. They pushed themselves to get things done the best way possible in order to beat deadlines. Confronted with such circumstances, many resort to completing the work themselves. By doing so, they believed they are in control.

"If I delegate, I will end up spending extra time checking through the work to make sure my expectations are met. This is something that I can't afford. I don't have the luxury of time." opined a Vice President of a major Malaysian financial institution who attended my program on " Leading Towards A Positive Work Culture" sometimes in November - January 2006.

"How could I delegate and train others to do my job? If they perform better than I do, I will be displaced." another manager shared.

The above is a common scenario on empowerment, or the lack of it. Most managers shared such belief. Many complained about their stressful work and not few who admitted that they are 'burnt-outs'.

But, why do managers behaved that way? I have thrown similar question during my training sessions. Some of the conclusions that I could draw as barriers to empowerment are:

1. Fear for Job Security. Only weak leader worries if he helps to develop his subordinates, through delegation and trainings, he will be dispensable. The truth is: the only way for a manager to be indispensable is by being dispensable. In short, if a manager is able to continually develop others to take over his job, then he is indispensable to the organization. He is now ready to move on in his career ladder.

2. Complacency. Competency could lead a manager into complacency and lack of trust in his subordinates. Empowerment demands constant change - as it encourages people to grow, be creative and develop. Hence, complacency leads to resistance to change.

3. Lack of Self-esteem. I have touched a bit on this in my previous posting, here. Managerial position is a source of power - legitimate power. On the other hand, influence power is undoubtedly the source of leadership. Managers who have developed self-esteem, regarded change as stimulus. This is because they believe they make the difference and are in a position to influence the outcome. They are not only doers and motivators, but they also empower others.

Hence, managers need to reflect not only on how they have empowered their subordinates, or lack of it, but also examine the impact of their subordinates' possible behaviors on their performance. Managers should remind themselves that their subordinates' capacity to achieve and excel is dependent on their leadership ability to empower. What the subordinates are today, is the result of their previous leadership. May be this explains.

You may want to analyze this case in respect of the above discussions.

No comments: